Alberta Ski Team Alumni Profile – Paul Stutz
1. What club(s) did you ski with? Banff Alpine Racers
2. Who were some of your coaches? Richard Jagger – Peter Rybarik
3. Highlight of your career with the provincial team? Overall Canadian Junior Champion in 2001
4. Highlight of your ski racing career? 4 Time Canadian Champion – 7th World Cup Kitzbuhel Combined.
5. Who were some of your teammates? AAST Teammates – Cameron Barnes, Danny MacEachren, Brad Spence, Trevor White, Luke Patterson
6. Do you have any tips you’d like to pass on to young racers? Focus on skiing fast. That’s it. There are so many distractions, politics, challenges, criteria, sponsors, qualifications, etc. They all work themselves out when you ski fast, so keep it simple.
7. What are you doing now? Working with RE/MAX and The Tonkinson Team, selling Residential Real Estate in Southern Alberta.
8. Are you still involved with ski racing? How? I am fortunate to still have close ties to Alberta Alpine, and give back when I can in a few different facets. As well, I am commentating for Shaw TV for their winter sports series, Chasing Limits.
9. Would you tell us a little about how ski racing has contributed to your life and work? Work ethic. I have learned that hard work, with no guarantees or returns, just like ski racing, breeds success. My career now is different every day and I am constantly facing new challenges. Ski racing, and especially racing independently at the end of my career, has been invaluable preparation for the rest of my life.
10. Anything else you’d like to add? I am proud to be part of Alberta Alpine’s legacy of successful racers, supporters, and the entire skiing family.