October 24, 2019
Sidewall Edge Sharpening
In this newsletter I will use a video to show you how the side edge tuning is accomplished. The most important thing to understand is that you need the right tools to make sure your edges are perfect.
Sidewall Edge Sharpening Tools Needed:
Swix Pro Racing Line Diamond Stones
Swix Diamond stones have taken this technology one step further. The diamond fabric is adhered to the flat, true aluminum piece to assure that there is no pressure rollover when sharpening side and base edges. The diamond cluster-pattern is durable and should last you a long time if taken care of. The diamond pattern in conjunction with a polishing agent (citrus solvent) will ensure that excess material will be removed leaving a clean, smooth mirror like finish.
- TAA100N X-Coarse (100 grit) – for deburring and sharpening
- TAA200N Coarse (200 grit) – for deburring and maintenance
- TAA400N Medium (400 grit) – beginning of the finishing process
- TAA600N Fine (600 grit) – for honing and polishing
- TAA1000N X-Fine (1000 grit) – leaves a true mirror like finish
- I74C Citrus Solvent 500 ml – I use this to clean stones and as polishing agent
Racing Pro World Cup Files and File Cleaner
Swix has 15 different files to choose from however there is one file I use as my go to all-purpose file. The “Racing Pro World Cup” 8”/20mm 2nd cut chrome file. Swix files are true and flat, which translates into precision edge sharpening, required by World Cup technicians. These are the best files on the market today!
- T106X 8”/20mm, 16 teeth per cm, 2nd Best all around file and very durable
- T0177B File Brush – Soft bronze bristles that won’t harm the file teeth
Gummy stones are an efficient way to detune (slightly dull) the tip and tail area as well as to remove micro-burrs from filing.
- T0992 Soft Grey Gummy; excellent for removing rust and burrs. Also great for detuning tips and tails
- T0994 Hard Red Gummy; for polishing and light side wall clean up
- T0995 X-Hard Blue Gummy; use after filing to clean up micro burrs and to polish
Swix Side Edge Sharpening video!
Categorised in: Swix Tech Talk