May 3, 2018
HAPPY | LOVE OF SKIING | FUN | ALWAYS SMILING | 110% EFFORT | PASSION
If you haven’t heard of the Abby Award, it’s an honourable acknowledgement, awarded to one U10 athlete from each club across the country. The award celebrates Abrielle “Abby” Wunsch. a high spirited 9 year old ski racer who tragically, on December 6th, 2015, passed away while skiing.
The Abby Award is a snowflake medallion which, each ski season, is presented to a U10 level ski racer. This award is for the athlete who shows up in the morning with a smile on their face. They try their best and give 110%, do what the coach asks, never complains and cheers on their teammates. It is meant for the athlete who is there because they want to have fun and they truly love the sport of skiing. Our plan for this season is to award a NASA U10 athlete with the first Abby Award at the end of this current season. Going forward, we will be putting together packages for all alpine clubs in Canada to award to one of their U10 athletes the Abby Award at the end of each season. The Coaches who work closely with all the children will have to decide which athlete is the one who exhibits the characteristics above.
Here are this year’s Alberta Abby Award recipients, as chosen by their club’s coaches;
- Lake Louise Grizzlies – Blake Wylie
- Sunshine Speedsters – Alec Johnson
- Red Deer – Mara Beuker
- Bow Valley Quikies – Norah Elenko
- Calgary Alpine Snoflyers – Natalia C.
- Parkland Racers Ski Club – Gage Vermeulen
- Mount Allen Ski Team – Katherine Blouin
- Skimeisters Alpine Racing Club – Karin Kurcicova
- Kinosoo Blizzards (Cold Lake Alpine) – Reighynn Pawlowski
- Rabbit Hill Ski Club – Sebastian Schaffrick
- Team Panorama – Rose McGilvary
- Snow Valley Racing – Maya McHugh
- Sunridge Ski Club – Charli Vertz
- Westcastle Ski Club – Benny G.
- FAST – Emilia Richardson
- Fort McMurray Ski Team – Lily Donald
Find out more about the Abby Award
Categorised in: News