March 8, 2018
Alberta Alpine scholarships are now posted for 2018. The deadline for submissions are;
- March 23, 2018 at noon MST
- Rob Bosinger Ski Scholarship
- Cary Mullen ‘Character’ Award
- March 30, 2018 at noon MST
- Brent Marshall Memorial Scholarship
- David Murray Memorial Scholarship
- Ski Canada Magazine Award
- Franklin Donald Bean Award
- Edmonton Alpine Ski Grant
- April 15, 2018 at noon MST
- Dee Read and Ken Read Scholarships
It is highly recommended to submit applications early, and it is acceptable and expected that athletes will apply for any and all scholarships for which they are eligible.
Coaches and Club Members are welcome to submit Cary Mullen nominations for athletes who display the qualities Cary views as essential: Courage, Commitment, Confidence and Camaraderie.
All applications must be submitted to email@example.com no later the deadlines listed above. Subject line: Your Name, AASA Scholarships
Hard copies will also be accepted and can be mailed to the Alberta Alpine office.
The scholarships available for 2018 are listed below:
| ROB BOSINGER SKI SCHOLARSHIP – Deadline: March 23, 2018, noon MST
- The scholarship is in memory of Rob Bosinger, a coach and mentor of U16 skiers over the years, who died suddenly of cardiac arrhythmia on May 20th, 2005. Funds are raised each year during the Head to Head Race Series; this year’s race events will be held at Mount Norquay on March 31, 2018 & April 1, 2018.
- Two Rob Bosinger Ski Scholarships are awarded each year to assist in meeting the costs of ski racing: one to a talented young male ski racer and one to a talented young female ski racer.
- Eligibility: Candidates will hold a U16 National Card and be born in 2002 or 2003.
- The winners of the scholarships will be U16 ski racers who exemplify the qualities that Rob stood for: passion for the sport, ambition and courage, combined with talent and accomplishment, in pursuit of excellence in ski racing in Alberta.
- $2,500 will be awarded per scholarship.
| DEE READ AND KEN READ SCHOLARSHIPS – Deadline: April 15, 2018, noon MST
- Eligibility: U16 through FIS athletes, born 2003 and older – performance based
- Clubs should nominate athletes who have had strong performance that demonstrates progression towards the Canadian Alpine Ski Team, Alberta Ski Team or an Alberta Team to represent the province at the U18 Nationals, U16 Nationals or Whistler Cup.
- The nominee should also demonstrate a true love of skiing by skiing outside of their normal program time on a regular basis.
- Athletes are to be nominated for the award by way of letter of recommendation from the head coach or a member of the board of the ski club (maximum two nominations per club – one male and one female). The club or coach who nominates the athlete should notify the athlete.
- A complete scholarship application, including letters from the athlete and a reference should accompany the club nomination.
- An athlete may apply even if they have won the award in a previous year.
- This year $1000 will be given to one male (Ken Read Scholarship) and $1000 for one female (Dee Read Scholarship).
| BRENT MARSHALL MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP – Deadline: March 30, 2018, noon MST
- The Marshall family established this scholarship in memory of their son and brother, who passed away from cancer. Brent was an avid skier and a member of the Mount Norquay Racing Team, now the Calgary Alpine Racing Club.
- Eligibility: U16 and U18 Athletes born between 2000 and 2003
- This scholarship is available to athletes pursuing excellence in ski racing and education.
- The value of the scholarship is $663
| DAVID MURRAY MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP – Deadline: March 30, 2018, noon MST
- This award was established in memory of Crazy Canuck, Dave Murray.
- Eligibility: U18 or U21 Athletes born between 1997 and 2001
- A $750.00 scholarship is available from the David Murray Ski Foundation to an Alberta athlete who is working towards becoming a member of the Canadian Alpine Ski Team.
- Please include a brief report of your general experiences and race results from the current season and your goals for the future.
| SKI CANADA MAGAZINE AWARD – Deadline: March 30, 2018, noon MST
- This award is designated for U14 & U16 aged athletes with the potential to rise to the top of ski racing in Canada. The award is distributed by the Ski Canada Fund, a pool of funds accumulated through commissions paid on the use of the Bank of Montreal Master Card.
- Eligibility: U14 & U16 Athletes born 2002 to 2005
- An award of between $500.00 and $1000.00 is awarded to one male and one female athlete each year. Award money to be distributed in the spring of the next season.
| FRANKLIN DONALD BEAN AWARD – Deadline: March 30, 2018, noon MST
- This award is presented annually to a male member of the Alberta Ski Team who displays an attitude of sportsmanship and competitiveness and demonstrates a keen desire to become a member of the Canadian Alpine Ski Team.
- Eligibility: Male members of the Alberta Ski Team
- The value of the award is $256.
|EDMONTON ALPINE SKI GRANT – Deadline: March 30, 2018, noon MST
- Awards from this fund are meant to meet the unique and exceptional needs of Edmonton area Alpine Skiers, with the purpose of providing assistance in the form of grants to deserving student/athletes attending secondary or post secondary school on a full time basis.
- Eligibility: U14, U16, U18, U21 or Senior Athletes from the Edmonton area, born 2005 and earlier.
- They award up to $2000 for 4 athletes at $500 each per year.
- Successful candidates will be contacted by the Edmonton committee.
| CARY MULLEN ‘CHARACTER’ AWARDS – Deadline: March 23, 2018, noon MST
- Coaches or club members: Please email nomination letters to Member Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cary donates six trophies each year to be awarded to athletes who display the qualities of a true champion in their ski racing pursuits. He defines the qualities as: Courage, Commitment, Confidence and Camaraderie
- There are 2 awards for U12 & under (NZ/SZ), 2 awards for U14/U16, 1 for a FIS athlete and 1 for an Alberta Ski Team athlete.
- Cary was inspired by an award like this one when he was a young athlete and wanted to recognize the efforts of athletes as they strive to be the best
- Athletes in each age group are nominated by their clubs.
- Deadline for submission: March 23, 2018
Categorised in: News, Uncategorized